FHA, VA Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
Types of Partial Claims and Loan Deferrals Eligible for Assistance For Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) mortgages, homeowners may have taken a COVID-related partial claim second mortgage that eliminated a delinquency by transferring the past- due amount from the primary mortgage to a second loan. For Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac mortgages, or portfolio or securitized loans, homeowners may have a loan deferral taken during or after January 2020 with their current servicer, which moved the amount of a delinquency to the end of the mortgage.
Additional Documentation (For the full list of all required documents, please visit the California Mortgage Relief Term Sheets) For FHA or VA Loans: homeowners should have a loan agreement (“promissory note”, “partial claim note” or “mortgage recovery advance note”) and/or a Deed of Trust from the mortgage servicer. For loan deferrals with their current mortgage servicer, homeowners should have a payment deferral agreement or other written notice from the mortgage servicer showing the deferral amount. In some cases, the deferral amount may only be reflected on the monthly mortgage statements.

Applicants who receive assistance from the California Mortgage Relief Program for an existing partial claim received during or after January 2020 will be responsible for any associated fees, such as recording fees. These fees will be payable to the applicant’s mortgage servicer when their primary mortgage is paid off. Homeowners can contact their mortgage servicer for more information.

For questions about this new eligibility expansion, please call the Contact Center at 1-888-840-2594, Monday through Friday, 8am – 6pm PST.

MORTGAGE RELIEF EXAMPLE: homeowners needing $30,000 to get caught up on their mortgage will be ineligible if they have $50,000 or more in cash or assets.

PROPERTY TAX EXAMPLE: homeowners needing $10,000 to get caught up on their property tax payments will be ineligible if they have $30,000 or more in cash or assets.

For conforming loan limits detail, click here and open the chart that corresponds with the year the mortgage was first secured or last re-financed. In that year’s chart, the conforming loan limit is listed by county of residence and property type. If you need assistance, please call the Contact Center at 1-888-840-2594.